mnunes810

'99 Ranger vs. '95 Camry

47 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

mnunes810    0

I recently inherited a 1995 Toyota Camry LE. My current vehicle is a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT that I have driven for going on one year. I am 20 years old and do not have the funds nor the need to own two vehicles, therefore, one must go. I have researched both vehicles, and there is good and bad to be said about each one. My findings are making this an extremely difficult decision, so I need some advice/ opinions. Here is a breakdown of each vehicle as well as their condition:

1999 Ford Ranger XLT-

Sport Package, Step-side, Single Cab

2wd, 2.5L 4cyl/ Auto Transmission

172,000 mi

Pros- Useful when it is time to move. Somewhat attractive in my opinion. Reasonable acceleration, great stopping power, Uncluttered engine compartment, cheap parts. I know many people have issues with this particular make, but I have not. At 172,000 miles the truck is yet to encounter any engine or transmission problems. No fluid leaks. New tires.

Cons- Small cab, can only carry 1 passenger comfortably. Fuel economy (22-24), rough ride/ noisy driving experience. No cruise control. Ford reputation, supposedly the worst year for the Ranger.

1995 Toyota Camry LE

LE, 4 door sedan

Fwd, 2.2L 4cyl/ Auto Transmission

173,000 mi

Pros- Roomy, oh so roomy. Smooth ride, feels like a Cadillac compared to the Ranger. Room for passengers, big trunk. Better MPG. Comfortable interior. Resale value. Power everything. Cruise Control. Runs/ Shifts great. Toyota reputation and supposedly a good year for the Camry.

Cons- Some fluid leaks from trans pan & oil pan gaskets. Needs new CV joint ($50 approx.) and rear strut ($60 approx). No truck bed, no trailer hitch will complicate moving. Parts are more expensive overall. Cluttered engine compartment.

Shpuker    0

If it was me I'd sell the one thats worth more (probably the Camry). But then again I'da sold the camry in a heart beat any way. :lol:

But it depends, for instance. How much do you drive on average? If the answer is a lot then the camry is probably a better option simply cause it gets better mileage.

P.S. I'd also look into sellin both and buying an even better car.

Ya selling both is actually a pretty good idea. But you have to consider that the Ford is essentially a Mazda B-series, so that should factor in.

My vote (if you want to keep one): Camry.

mnunes810    0

essentially a mazda b series being a good or bad thing? I have to keep one of the two. The goal here is to make a little cash rather than invest the money into another vehicle.

essentially a mazda b series being a good or bad thing? I have to keep one of the two. The goal here is to make a little cash rather than invest the money into another vehicle.

Being a good thing but they arent the greatest machines in the world.

Guest Christbarr48   
Guest Christbarr48

Being a quit gossip I like Toyota instead of Mazda.

Toyota Celica is a good machine a best in drive.

Thanks

Being a quit gossip I like Toyota instead of Mazda.

Toyota Celica is a good machine a best in drive.

Thanks

(facepalm)

System_51    0

I'm also a quit gossip, but i like Mazda better than Toyota - and hilarity ensues!

But I digress....

I say keep the truck, especially considering you'll probably get more for the Camry.

Also, the Ranger is more Ford than Mazda (badge engineered). I'm not sure why 99 would be considered a "bad" year for the Ranger, considering it changed very little over 1998-present. They're even going to keep pushing them out of the plant until 2011!

System_51    0
Quit gossiping?

Sorry for the confusion that is just spammer gibberish (due to the ESL or a bad google translation). I just thought it was rad that it started his bunk comment off.

mnunes810    0

the fact of the matter is I will get more $$ for the ranger, it is in better overall condition. again, no fluid leaks, e.t.c. As I am currently enrolling in college, cash is something I am in great need of. with a little work, the camry could be a fine car, however, I doubt I would ever see more than $1200 if I sold it. I am starting to think the camry may hold more value for me than for my wallet, if that makes any sense. It is a hundred times more comfortable to drive than my truck, and cruise control is a blessing on the interstate, where I do the most of my cruising. Btw, a trunk would also be nice, because I have recently acquired a girl friend, which means I need a passenger seat that isn't full of junk. Looks like I answered my own question, but thanks for the comments.

Jammo    0

Id say keep the Camry!

My reason is because I know the US Ford Ranger isnt as good as the Ford Ranger sold in the UK (ad probably not as good looking?)

2008-Ford-Ranger-Wildtrak-2.jpg

Id say keep the Camry!

My reason is because I know the US Ford Ranger isnt as good as the Ford Ranger sold in the UK (ad probably not as good looking?)

2008-Ford-Ranger-Wildtrak-2.jpg

I'm guessing it's cheaper.

Back to Top ↑