Sign in to follow this  
7thgear

citroen 1.1 saxo forte bad idle problem when engine is cold??

6 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

7thgear    0

hi guys, well i own a citroen forte 1.1 saxo, but when the engine is cold i turn the ignition on, my car will idle good for about 10 ses then the car will either shake and stall becuse the revs just die, so i have to hold down the gas petal to keep the car alive.

I have turned up the idle speed screw a tad so it idle at 1400 when the engine is warm so tommorow i will see if that helps starting off me cold engine, does anyone know what else i could do??,

bfeeney    0

check out the idle air control on the throttle body. some say they can be cleaned up but if they're cheap, just replace it

dr. joint    0
hi guys, well i own a citroen forte 1.1 saxo, but when the engine is cold i turn the ignition on, my car will idle good for about 10 ses then the car will either shake and stall becuse the revs just die, so i have to hold down the gas petal to keep the car alive.

I have turned up the idle speed screw a tad so it idle at 1400 when the engine is warm so tommorow i will see if that helps starting off me cold engine, does anyone know what else i could do??,

dont just go replacing any part yet. try cleaning the throttle body with 3M carb cleaner or any other similar product (whiz throttle body cleaner.) you could follow the instructions in the can but it would be better if you could remove the throttle body before spraying it. be mindful of the sensors attached to the throttle body, though.

my mitsu has the same problem every year or so and cleaning the throttle body solves this. try spraying the intake plenum as well.

after cleaning the throttle body and starting the car, it will choke and shake and rattle at first. keep depressing the gas pedal and when the engine warms up, release the gas pedal.

when the engine is sufficiently warmed-up (temp gauge is at half reading) stop the engine. let it cool down for a couple of minutes and start the car again. it should start without fuss, idling happily.

after doing this and still you have the same problem during cold starting, either the idle air motor sensor or the throttle position sensor is defective. time to consult a trustworthy mechanic.

bfeeney    0

i'm not saying just buy every possible sensor, sometimes IAC can be cleaned since they get gummed up and it works fine. If that is the problem try cleaning it but if a new one costs $15 don't waste your time cleaning it just get a new one.

cifo    0

hey bfeeney.

oerhaps you should look at www.carforums.com/forums

there are a whole lot AX maniacs over there.

Edited by Jammo

Cliffy    0
hey bfeeney.

oerhaps you should look at www.carforums.com/forums

there are a whole lot AX maniacs over there.

Maybe you should note that advertising is not permitted here!...Oh, and I think the OP's issue has probably been resolved now, don't you?

Oh, and it's a Saxo, not an AX, lol.

Edited by Cliffy

Back to Top ↑