• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joey77

joey77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:41 PM

I have a 1997 Ford F150 Pickup and the power window on the driver side has stopped working a few days ago. The power window on the passenger side works fine and I don't see any other functions that are not working correctly.

When I push the power button to lower the Driver side window I can hear a clicking noise coming from the Instrument Panel Fuse Box. The clicking noise is coming from Rely #4 (Power Mirrors, autolamp, etc...these all work fine).

The only Fuse I can find related to the Power Windows is on the Power Distribution Box (under the hood). It's a 30amp fuse but I'm guessing that this fuse is "OK" since the Passenger Side Power Window works ok.

Is this problem within the door panel where the Power Window Switch is located are should I look eslewhere for the problem?

Thanks for any help with this issue.

Joey

#2 joey77

joey77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

Got it! :blink:

Motor is stuck, open the door with the ign. switch on, press the window button and hold it, slam the door at the same time, it might release it. If not you can remove the door panel and hit the motor while pressing on the switch, but when the window starts moving let go of the switch.

This worked for me after removing door panel and replugging all connections and hitting motor with pliers :lol: In case it's of any help to others.

Joey

#3 Isaac

Isaac

Fighting the NWO

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346,618 posts
  • Year:2009
  • Make:Subaru
  • Model:STI

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:20 PM

Glad you fixed it Joey. Thanks for posting the follow up. :blink:

#4 joey77

joey77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:26 AM

Got it! :lol:

This worked for me after removing door panel and replugging all connections and hitting motor with pliers :lol: In case it's of any help to others.

Joey

Well...it worked for a while. A month or so after my last post here, the problem returned. I chose to live with the problem for a while until in October when a cold snap happened and I decided to see if the power window would work....and it did all the sudden. Later the same day after the temperature warmed up the power window would no longer work. Last week when the weather was very cold I tried again and the power window works :)

Does this sound like a problem with the window motor or do you think this could be a electrical problem?

Thanks for any thought on this :)

Joey

#5 Isaac

Isaac

Fighting the NWO

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346,618 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

Did any of the connections look tarnished or corroded? Did any seem like there wasn't positive connection?

Could be a bad switch?

#6 joey77

joey77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:35 PM

Did any of the connections look tarnished or corroded? Did any seem like there wasn't positive connection?

Could be a bad switch?

When I did the initial work to check out the problem I don't recall seeing any corrosion on the contacts/connections. My neighbor and I did some electrical checks (using digital multimeter) to see if power was getting to switch and if I recall correctly the switches were ok.

I just guessing that on the window motor there must be a connection/contact that is affected by temp and makes good contact during cold temps. When it warms up I might just take the door panel off again and give it another check.

I'm just hoping I can be sure if it's the motor or other :)

Thanks for your response.

#7 Isaac

Isaac

Fighting the NWO

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346,618 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

When I did the initial work to check out the problem I don't recall seeing any corrosion on the contacts/connections. My neighbor and I did some electrical checks (using digital multimeter) to see if power was getting to switch and if I recall correctly the switches were ok.

I just guessing that on the window motor there must be a connection/contact that is affected by temp and makes good contact during cold temps. When it warms up I might just take the door panel off again and give it another check.

I'm just hoping I can be sure if it's the motor or other :)

Thanks for your response.

Hmm, maybe a bad motor. The brushes could be worn or near worn.

A little experiment would be to remove the motor and measure the winding resistance at cold and warm temps. Maybe stick it in the freezer. :)

I'm sure its a dc motor but the winding resistance is prob on the order of tens of ohms if not lower.

The window doesn't work intermittently does it? Move really slowly? It works or it doesn't? Does it ever do anything in between?

#8 joey77

joey77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hmm, maybe a bad motor. The brushes could be worn or near worn.

A little experiment would be to remove the motor and measure the winding resistance at cold and warm temps. Maybe stick it in the freezer. :lol:

I'm sure its a dc motor but the winding resistance is prob on the order of tens of ohms if not lower.

The window doesn't work intermittently does it? Move really slowly? It works or it doesn't? Does it ever do anything in between?

It works great when it works or not at all.

I'll give your idea a go as to checking the winding resistance... but it's beginning to look like a new motor is the real fix :)

Thanks very much for your helpful comments :)

#9 Elite_Deforce

Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts
  • Year:1986
  • Make:Mazda
  • Model:RX-7 GX (FC)

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

It works great when it works or not at all.

I'll give your idea a go as to checking the winding resistance... but it's beginning to look like a new motor is the real fix :)

Thanks very much for your helpful comments :)

Yeah, in that case it might actually be a bad motor. Maybe the contacts or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users