Isaac

Spam Definition

35 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

Cliffy    0
I'm so confused.

Why?

Draguar, I certainly have no issues with you linking us to your site, so long as you promise to stick around! lol.

draguar    0
Why?

Draguar, I certainly have no issues with you linking us to your site, so long as you promise to stick around! lol.

yeah I like it here you guys have made me feel very welcome and because there is only a few of us its more personal than the big sites were you can go 6 months and not speak to the same person twice :lol:

Why?

Cause I wasn't paying attention as usual.

yeah I like it here you guys have made me feel very welcome and because there is only a few of us its more personal than the big sites were you can go 6 months and not speak to the same person twice :lol:

Who are you again?

draguar    0
Who are you again?

I`m the smarter better looking guy with a much faster cooler car

Volpe    0

I just noticed a thread that was replied by a spammer; the last "authentic" post was made in 2008, the spammer replied in April 2011. He has a link in his signature (I'm not clicking it). Now, its cool if a webmaster/moderators let forum users pars links to their websites, but if the advertising post does not add contributing content, and he continually revises old threads (that have no more use - I must clarify) then this in my mind is not acceptable.

Discretion is good, but I see a LACK of it as I read through the forums.

Quality > Content

I don't know if you guys realize it or not, but lurkers (such as myself) notice this and it does affect their confident in joining the community. I don't want to talk to automated computer spammers, or advertisers.

Chris V.    0

There is a lot of that going on, which is one of the reasons I've asked to be a moderator, as they are having a hard time keeping up with it. Every once in a while a spambot comes through and fills up a forum with spam and they do get rid of it.

I thought it might be nice to have a "report post" function, but this software doesn't have it apparently. This is a big problem on a lot of forums, however. We just need more regular members having regular conversations, rather than one hit wonders that post HI and go away, That's the biggest way to get rid of spam conversations.

I just noticed a thread that was replied by a spammer; the last "authentic" post was made in 2008, the spammer replied in April 2011. He has a link in his signature (I'm not clicking it). Now, its cool if a webmaster/moderators let forum users pars links to their websites, but if the advertising post does not add contributing content, and he continually revises old threads (that have no more use - I must clarify) then this in my mind is not acceptable.

Discretion is good, but I see a LACK of it as I read through the forums.

Quality > Content

I don't know if you guys realize it or not, but lurkers (such as myself) notice this and it does affect their confident in joining the community. I don't want to talk to automated computer spammers, or advertisers.

If you haven't noticed, there isn't that much traffic on this site yet.

As for the links you speak of, I delete them every time I come by them, but I am not on my computer 24/7 and neither are the other mods. Chris is in the process of getting mod status as soon as an admin logs back on so that should help out (he's on here more often than I).

I wouldn't worry too much about the spammers, just leave them be and I'll take care of them when I do come by. There isn't any quality content on here because actual members have yet to show up and provide it. Feel free to start a thread about anything and be sure to place it in the appropriate section to get the ball rolling faster. The more authentic traffic everyone provides the better.

Thanks,

E_D

Volpe    0

I don't know if I'm welcomed here. I think I will just continue on my way, but

Good luck with the forums, Cory

I wouldn't worry too much about the spammers, just leave them be and I'll take care of them when I do come by.

Oh sorry mister moderator with your "moderator picture signature".

...This is a big problem on a lot of forums..

Please don't take this the wrong way..

Usually its because of the lack of insight. My woodworking forum (230,### posts) doesn't have a spam problem, but sure one gets through every now and then. First thing first, you STOP spam from even registering. We use a "questions and answer" anti-spam technique along with reCAPTCHA. The Captcha doesn't work that great, but my custom questions I put on the registration page stops almost every automated spam program. The second thing we do is set up the options for the default user group that all new members go into; all new members are not allowed signature edits until they "prove themselves".

Back to Top ↑