Isaac

Spam Definition

35 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

Isaac    0

Hey guys. Lately we (mods and I) have closed/deleted threads and disabled the posting ability of people we deemed were spamming the boards. I talked to Steve about some specific cases where I have deleted threads for adverts/spam and Steve thinks this might be a little heavy handed.

The example I am referring to is the user who was posting seemingly legitimate posts but including an in-line link to car parts. If it was a one time occurance then I may have let it go. However, the repetitive nature flagged it as spam in my mind.

I've noticed many of your are very anti-spam so I wanted to get you guys involved in defining what is acceptable.

Anyways, just trying to brainstorm here.

Caboose    0

For the first time poster who drops by and craps on our carpet, I think you guys should check the link and determine its value.

For the member in good standing who has found great savings, and wants to pass it on to other members, that should be encouraged.

It's like TV, we can always change the channel.

However if you guys bust a link, where I can buy a new BMW for $25, I would be pissed. ;)

Perhaps a 10 post count before you can post links.

And force profile completion. Most scammers wouldn't go to the trouble.

Isaac    0
For the first time poster who drops by and craps on our carpet, I think you guys should check the link and determine its value.

For the member in good standing who has found great savings, and wants to pass it on to other members, that should be encouraged.

It's like TV, we can always change the channel.

However if you guys bust a link, where I can buy a new BMW for $25, I would be pissed. ;)

Perhaps a 10 post count before you can post links.

And force profile completion. Most scammers wouldn't go to the trouble.

Good recommendations. I've been trying to get Steve to implement a min post count before links can be posted.

2007DBR9    0

Someone who doesn't post an introduction, makes a pointless thread, and posts a link without consulting the mods. No point in telling them to read the rules, they will have already made another account and started spamming again. Some of them will probably be automated, I remember one, nachos99 or something who posted the same thing on about 10 different forums. Anyway these are my thoughts...

Cliffy    0
Someone who doesn't post an introduction, makes a pointless thread, and posts a link without consulting the mods. No point in telling them to read the rules, they will have already made another account and started spamming again. Some of them will probably be automated, I remember one, nachos99 or something who posted the same thing on about 10 different forums. Anyway these are my thoughts...

Couldn't agree more. In my opinion there's no point in giving blatent spammers any chances because they won't be back, with the same username atleast. I usually only disable a member's posting ability if they have posted adverts more than once, as otherwise it seems a tad pointless to me. The good thing about being a member at and modderating other forums, is that said spammers usually go there and post the same crap, too, which mazkes it ever easier to suss them out. The whole idea and principle of making rules whereby members can't advertise, Full stop, is that there's no confusion about what is and what isn't allowed. I have no problem with established members posting links etc, even of sites they've produced, afterall, they've proved loyal to us here, so why not let them plug tghere own site free of charge? All I ask is that the member in question PMs one of us (Mods or Admins...preferably active ones, lol). I'm sure Steve and Isaac would agree with that... ;)

Cliffy    0
Works for me.

Me too now...How strange, lol. Not sure I understand though....Was there any seriousness in that? ;)

Skylinez    0

One suggestion to add to this - I see a lot of "link removed threads", why not just delete the thread? (i.e. in a lot of cases those posts don't make sense without the link that was removed anyway)

Edited by Skylinez

Cliffy    0
One suggestion to add to this - I see a lot of "link removed threads", why not just delete the thread? (i.e. in a lot of cases those posts don't make sense without the link that was removed anyway)

I do a bit of both, either way is acceptable, as the link in question has been removed. If there's numerous links in said threads, or phone numbers, email addresses or home addresses, I'll always just delete the thread. If there's no links and it's just pointless spam, then I'll delete the whole thing. I like other members to see that we do act on spam threads in some cases, in which case I'll usually edit the traed. I'll also edit the thread if there's the possibilty of confusion as to why it was deleted, for example if the spam isn't as obvious as in some instances etc.

Chris V.    0

I've mentioned this before, and I think to Cliffy...

Advertising is something that someone makes money off of. Links to club websites (like, say, my 7 series owner's group website) is not the same thing. You have to be careful about putting the hammer down when it may not be about making money. And as we've talked about, if someone asks a question about repairs, etc, and you link them to not only an online repair guide, but a known good parts source, that is ALSO not advertising, even if it's a link to a commercial site. The key is to make sure that the response is actually pertinent and timely and that the person responding has obviously read and comprehended the request (and the request date. I've seen one or two line responses with link to a 2-3 year old thread. Not going to do any good).

Normally on car forums, I have a link to my owner's group website. If people are searching the web for information on these cars, and they run across one of my posts about them, there will then be a link to go to the midatlantic7s site where they can get detailed info and contacts that will help them with their car. It's not spam, and it's not advertising (or trying to draw anyone away from this site). I don't make any money off the site or the owner's group. But it can be quite helpful to someone who is just learning about car they just purchased and want to know more, know about other owners around them, etc.

Cliffy    0
I've mentioned this before, and I think to Cliffy...

Advertising is something that someone makes money off of. Links to club websites (like, say, my 7 series owner's group website) is not the same thing. You have to be careful about putting the hammer down when it may not be about making money. And as we've talked about, if someone asks a question about repairs, etc, and you link them to not only an online repair guide, but a known good parts source, that is ALSO not advertising, even if it's a link to a commercial site. The key is to make sure that the response is actually pertinent and timely and that the person responding has obviously read and comprehended the request (and the request date. I've seen one or two line responses with link to a 2-3 year old thread. Not going to do any good).

Normally on car forums, I have a link to my owner's group website. If people are searching the web for information on these cars, and they run across one of my posts about them, there will then be a link to go to the midatlantic7s site where they can get detailed info and contacts that will help them with their car. It's not spam, and it's not advertising (or trying to draw anyone away from this site). I don't make any money off the site or the owner's group. But it can be quite helpful to someone who is just learning about car they just purchased and want to know more, know about other owners around them, etc.

The definition of advertising, certainly where web Forums are concerned, is when somebody links us to their website etc for their own personal gain (ie; not necessarily to make money, but to increase traffic etc). I certainly don't have an issue with loyal members liking to sites etc, especially their own, and I'm sure no one else has an issue with this either. The problem arises when a new member turns up, and the first thing they do is display a link to their website, which in my mind is using us as a larger forum, to promote his or hers much smaller site. If they ask permission, and stick around, then that could be different (as a couple of members have done), but more often than not said members are never to be seen again. I think discretion should be used in some cases.

draguar    0
The definition of advertising, certainly where web Forums are concerned, is when somebody links us to their website etc for their own personal gain (ie; not necessarily to make money, but to increase traffic etc). I certainly don't have an issue with loyal members liking to sites etc, especially their own, and I'm sure no one else has an issue with this either. The problem arises when a new member turns up, and the first thing they do is display a link to their website, which in my mind is using us as a larger forum, to promote his or hers much smaller site. If they ask permission, and stick around, then that could be different (as a couple of members have done), but more often than not said members are never to be seen again. I think discretion should be used in some cases.

so was I wrong linking to my site?? I only done it because I thought people might like it. I have no advertising on my site or make any money off of it If I was wrong then i`m sorry :lol:

Back to Top ↑