Sign in to follow this  
Bliggida

'84 944 & '79 Z28

6 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

Bliggida    0

I've been looking for the factory skidpad ratings on both of these cars for my neighbor and my cars'. I know they aren't comparable but I wanted to know how far off the Camaro was with the heay-duty Z28 F1 suspension.

My neighbor's Porsche was added a set of 17" 255mm Kuhmo's. So it might be a point or two above stock.

I asked someone who was suppose to be an expert on Porsche's, and found out he wasn't when he both had no idea for the skidpad rating, and tried to tell me that 17" 255's on a 944 would only hurt performance and acceleration - that it was overkill.

What the...!

Felt like saying,

Listed 'tard! I'm not talking about a set of 17" chrome plated Cragar S/S wheels from the 1970's, I'm talking about super light weight racing alloy. And furthermore, if the car is able to spin the tires, they aren't overkill - that means they aren't enough! Dummy.

Anyways, does anyone know where I can get that info on the two cars, other than sinking in and buying a G-Tech Pro?

MikAnchovy    0

As far as straight-line acceleration goes, I could see the 255s holding him back. 944 engines are torquey, but they're still n/a 4-cylinders... it would be hard to get wheelspin with 255 Ecstas. As for handling, if the rims are light, then it wouldn't make much of a difference, and all that rubber would undoubtedly give him insane grip.

MikAnchovy    0

A 944 took me in a street race. I had an extra buddy in the car, and had a bad launch, but he took by a solid 2 cars up to 60 mph. I had a slight amount of top end on him, but I didn't really gain on him. They have 170hp, but they also have torque and a broad powerband. I think a 944 could run high 15s...

Bliggida    0

150 horspower.

We weren't racing, I just went on a ride with him and he took some corners at high speed that made me a little nervous.

His stock 944 with 255's was able to make the rear end dance around at will, so the only way the tires held him back was if they were sitting there spinning out instead of getting traction

Ideally though, you want about maybe one revolution of tire spin, that way it's enough grip to put the power to the ground and the car isn't overly tractioned to where it bogs the motor.

As far as the quartermile, they both feel like 15 second cars in stock form. So they'd pull about even. I had my neighbor all set to go to the track with me for my birthday.

But before the night was over we were rounding a fast corner in second and he blew out his final drive. $1100 bucks to fix, so he might sell it. He definately won't take it to the track now.

anyone find 944 skidpad #'s?

Guibo    0

Not sure about "factory skidpad ratings", but R&T tested a 944 to .86g in January of '86. A Camaro IROC-Z L98 tested 10/86 pulled .85g. The Chevy was also a bit quicker through the slalom (63.3 mph vs 62.5 mph). Go figure. Don't have figures for the older Camaro, sorry.

Back to Top ↑