Sign in to follow this  
gimpyben

'67 Mustang Convertible vs. 76 Scirocco

31 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

gimpyben    0

I've been talking to Mik about this for awhile, my girlfriend restored a 67 Mustang convertible with a 289 and an auto and sold it before I met her. I've only ever seen pics of it and her dad said it was mostly stock. Well, now we've been teasing each other about who has the faster car, my 76 Scirocco or her Mustang. I honestly have no idea so I figured I'd make a thread to see what you guys think. Plus it's kinda an off-the-wall comparo and has 20 page potential. :)

-I can elaborate on the VW if needed.

MikAnchovy    0

I'd say the Dub...

I remember reading somewhere that a Hi-Po (271hp vs. 225hp) '64 1/2 - 66 Mustang (notch or fastback, not sure), with a 4-spd. manual and a 4.11 rear end, runs the 1/4 mile in 15.8s. Your gf's car has an auto, it probably has a higher rear end ratio, it's got a lot less hp and it's a convertible. Your dub would probably even be in the 15s...

Becks7    0

Ever since you bought ur car, i've seen like 2. I honestly never heard of a Scirocco until you introduced me to it.

Sorry, wasn't really on subject.

Kurenai    0

If what Mike says is true, your Sirocco would probably win. That being said, I'd prefer the Mustang. Prefer the style. Power can always come later. :) Although if it was convertable, I'd just use it for cruising...

Guest Lizard King   
Guest Lizard King

Oh balls, I posted my response in the other topic. I'll post it here too:

I know nothing about the performance of the VW. I think the very first Mustangs (slightly lighter than 67/68 models, and beyond) with the A code 289 could do 0-60 in 9.X seconds. With modern tires who knows..

You VW isn't stock is it? If it is stock I would imagine it isn't any faster. Remember, the Golf GTi was considered a fast car in Europe when it came out, and it probably couldn't get under 10 seconds 0-60.

You all know what I go with.

I've been looking at a 68 Mustang thats for sale near me. I might get it.

LotusGT1    0

Remember, the Golf GTi was considered a fast car in Europe when it came out, and it probably couldn't get under 10 seconds 0-60.

Correction, people considered it a fast car in its class/for its price...and the 0-60 was under 9 seconds....

Guest Lizard King   
Guest Lizard King

I've heard 0-60 times of both above and below 10 seconds for it.

Yes, fast for its price. But you'd have to go quite higher in price to find really fast accelerating cars in Europe at that time.

Mustang. It's like how horseheads feel about 550M vs. Viper (and I totally oppose their mentality); the VW might be faster and better handling for the price, but a Mustang is a Mustang.

Mata    0

i dont agree with you nod

i mean, sure the name mustang implies almost 40 years of hearitage, it was the first pony car and the first ones are good cruiser cars with a LOT of tradition, but........a good car is still a good car even withouth the name, and a rocco can be much better car than the old stangs and some roccos can be even better cars in stock form (1v late 80`s ones)

still, thats a personal opinion and cant argue about that

Originally posted by Mata

i dont agree with you nod

i mean, sure the name mustang implies almost 40 years of hearitage, it was the first pony car and the first ones are good cruiser cars with a LOT of tradition, but........a good car is still a good car even withouth the name, and a rocco can be much better car than the old stangs and some roccos can be even better cars in stock form (1v late 80`s ones)

still, thats a personal opinion and cant argue about that

I understand your reasoning. I just get this feeling like the steering wheel is going to fall apart when I step into an old VW... don't trust 'em; maybe if the styling was a little better.

Originally posted by Dylan_Michael

But the counter to what Nod says is if you step into an Old chevy the tranny falls out, seats fall back, and wheels all fall off simultaneously:)

Fuh-nee. All I'm saying is that Mustangs, especially those constructed in the '60s, feel more solid to me. I'm making a hell of a generalization here, and you guys will be up my *** like ts1's penis up a vacuum cleaner, but when I see the "Vee-Dub" center cap on the wheel, I just get this feeling that the floorboard is going to collapse under me. Sorry if that's hitting below the belt; just my thoughts.

Back to Top ↑