mecca tt

American Engines –Vs- Japanese Engines

103 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

M3man    0

why does everyone call it the "Prowler" V6?

the friggin "Prowler" V6, which is on a $100k ++ car, is also on the 300M and Concorde, much cheaper cars. And yes, that engine is awesome (all-aluminum).

mecca tt    0

Well… The Is300’s I6 is the same as the N/A Supras.. A damn good engine if I say so myself. 800HP on stock internals.. Plus the N/A MKIV is no slouch, 0-60 in low 6’s I believe...

BTW, it is harder to get as high a hp/l figure on larger engines. More moving parts, gas consumption would I bet be shitty.. maybe not. The NSX’s V-8 or what ever it will get I’m sure will be revolutionary in some way.

I really wouldn’t doubt the Japanese companies. Nissan, Toyota, Honda.. all make bad *** engines.

Maybe America makes better 8 cylinder engines and V-10, but that’s about it. I’m mean look at Hondas F1 engine.. bad *** ****.

Chris V.    0

CART, if Honda could get the same hp/liter from an 8 liter as they do from their 1.6 liter, why don't they get the same hp/liter in their 1.6 liter as they do from their own 600 CC bike engine?

If the Civic Si and S2000 (which is supposed to get good hp/liter) got the same hp/liter as their 600 cc bikes, then the Civic would be nearly 300hp N/A, stock, and the S2000 would be around 400. And streetable (the bikes are...). Hell, you can't even BUILD a streetable N/A Si or Type R with 300-350 hp.

The only way to make power from a small engine is to make it rev. But that makes the powerband extremely narrow for both hp and torque. Great for a race car. Very "not great" for a street car.

Why didn't the S2000 use the 1.6, tuned up? Why didn't the Type R use the 1.6? Why doesn't the Accord use the 1.6? Why doesn't Porsche still use the 2 liter 6 cyl?

And M3man, the Prowler is about $45k, with a 41K base invoice. For a finished street rod, that's not bad.

The Fiero burning down had nothing to do with the 2.5, John. The Iron Duke has been around a long time, and has proven itself rugged and reliable in general service, and almost indestructable in racing use.

PontiacGP    0

As far as six cylinders go, Both countries seem to be equal on this one. Th GM 3800 V6 (NA and supercharged) is a very good motor, the chrysler 2.7 ad 3.2, ford 2.5 V6 that powers the countour svt.

I will admit that Japanese do make a solid engine no doubt, but american engines are just as stout in my book, and I love the wider, flatter torque curve inherent in the larger displacement engines vs. the high hp/liter as much torque as a moped engines.

America used to make some kicka$$ I6's too, but they are getting away from that.

ShamanWS6    0

GM's LS6 V8:

415hp naturally aspirated

Revs to 6500 RPM

Makes over 350lb/ft of torque @ 2400 RPM and builds from there

Provides 33mpg in the latest 'vette

Is as light or lighter than I6s from other companies

Compact design

Very difficult to heat-soak

Insane potential

Meets California 2001 ULEV restrictions

Now, a little caveat: there have been reports that the LS6 has oil burning problems, which may stem from an assembly issue where the ring grooves line up in the engine. It appears to be true. However, conceptually, that is one bad-*** motor with a flat, wide torque band and excellent economy and emissions. And the Z06 'vette I was in didn't burn much oil, according to the owner.

P.S. we dyno my car on Wednesday night. We're looking for 510rwhp and hoping for a little more. It's essentially a LS6, since I now have a set of LS6 heads + intake for the car. 510rwhp = 587hp crank! I may have to change my sig.

maybe a reason why most on this thread consider the Americans better at making V8's and V10's is because the Japanese cars arent V8s or V10s. I mean its pretty hard to compare a country's V8s when Japan doesnt really even make them at all.

It will be VERY VERY interesting to see the new NSX engine. It goes without saying that if Acura was able to making an amazing 290bhp out of a V6 when it came out was amazing, than they can probably do something with the V8. of course the viper, vette, cobra r, among others already produce a lot of hp from the V8 so I would only think that the NSX will be able to equal the hp figures using less liters like they do with the other cars.

Than the arguement over liters/hp is brought up though to see what is better...

C-MURDER    0

Chris is right, even the Japanese auto makers themselves, realize that bigger is better. So obviously my pick is American engines. No matter how you look at it, the smaller Jap engines can only handle so much, exactly why their engines are getting bigger(1.5, 1.6, 1.7 ,1.8 ,2.0....). There are exceptions, yes, like the 2.6 Skyline, 3.0 Supra, blah blah blah. But for the most part, the bigger American engines can handle MUCH more than the smaller Jap engines.

Now I'm not saying that Jap engines are bad, I would LOVE to have a ton of Jap cars. They are very well known for being reliable and smooth running, which is a good thing. If you're just gonna get a car to drive 50 miles to work everyday, get a Civic. But if you wanna car to turn into a gas guzzling race machine, then you're better off going for a Mustang.

It's all on your preference, and what you're gonna use your car for. I would be perfectly fine with a Jap or American car. But if I had to chose, I go American.

personally, i like them all..all high performance engines are great..

my preference leans toward the mood im in really.. sometimes that mood calls for high revs and turbos, other times it calls for big torque..i just like them all.

Back to Top ↑