mecca tt

American Engines –Vs- Japanese Engines

103 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

mecca tt    0

Ok, I am trying to keep this as nonbiased as I possibly can. If you guys know me ok, you all know I love cars from all over the world. However, I’m going to start a topic which I’m sure will cause some commotion.

I feel personally, that Japan makes more efficient engines, both cleaner and more reliable than their American counterpart. While, they are not the only things that define an engine it sure is two big parts. Anyway I feel Japan makes the overall better engine. What do you guys think..? I know both countries have different ways of approaching autos but in ways they are comparable.

Perhaps I'm wrong..

Robs944S    0

I can almost see how this is going to turn out.......USA guys like USA engines..........foreign guys like Jap engines......duh, but it'll turn into a 5 pager reguardless.

How about if you first state one difference between an "American" and a "Japanese" engine?

AndreyS    0

Depends on the application. For a truck I would choose the good ol'e big block or diesel, American made ofcourse. As for my everyday car I'd give it up to the lighter Jap engines.

PontiacGP    0

I look at it this way, Both japanese and american engines last a long time if you take care of them and sometimes they don't. My family has owned many american cars which have exceed 100K miles without a problem, and my uncle got 250K out of his f150 before he sold it. My other uncle got 120K (around there) out of his nissan truck before it $hit itself with the body pretty much falling off. My cousin had bad luck with his toyota truck needing an engine replacement at 70K.

Both countries make solid engines and some not so solid ones. Some have impressive hp/liter with as much torque as a weedwhacker, while others have a big fat torque curve with less impressive hp.

Personally, I would rather have an american engine anytime depending on application.

What I think is..... There all god damn equal. Who the hell cares what torque a 4cyl Accord makes. I know most of us, most of the time use less than half the potential of the car. A lot of people aren't even performance oriented, they couldn't care more. They'll buy the import car because they heard some one say "oh **** Jap cars are reliable they don't guzzle gas blah blah"(not that it ain't true). If you take care of your car it will last. Besides American engines are just as reliable (if not more) than import engines. I haven't heard many problems with the engines, it's usually miniscule problems with the interior door handles that kind of stuff. The engines are quite sturdy. On the performance side I can go iether way it really doesn't matter. I'll probaby stick more with domestic because as you know me, I like simple stuff, no techno-gizmo stuff....well that works too:)

gimpyben    0

Japanese, just cause they know how to make a 4 banger. Better than anyone IMO. Ford comes close, but GM and DC are a joke when it comes to 4 cyls (although the 80s Dodge turbo-4s were the ****).

JZ    0

well in my opinion and experience jap engines have been much more reliable. Not to say american engines are bad, just the japs are a better.

TurboREX    0

Any small displacement (4cyl or small 6cyl) and engines with turbo's, Id pick Jap. Any larger engines, especially V8s, US. Both types of engines just sound awesome once their potential is realized though. I loved hearing the Caddy and Panoz speed by followed by the sound of those twin turbo Audis. Hoowee do I love racecar sounds!

Back to Top ↑